How to care for your skin post-treatment
- Erythema: (redness) typically resolves in less than an hour, but in some cases may linger for 24 hours.
- Frosting: usually fades in 30 minutes.
- Unwanted Pigment: will continue to darken and may turn 2-3 shades darker than the original colour, then shed over time. Most unwanted pigment will significantly lighten or clear within 3-6 sessions.
- Hypo-pigmentation: may occur when treatment epidermal pigmented lesions. It is usually transient and resolved over a period of 4-6 months.
- Post inflammatory hypo/hyper-pigmentation: may occur with any laser treatment. Typically both resolve spontaneously without intervention in 6-12 months
AFTER TREATMENT RECOMMENDATIONS
After each treatment session, proper care of the treated area following post treatment instructions can decrease the risk of adverse effects.
- Warmth/heat is expected in the treated area for up to 1 hour post-treatment,
- Slight swelling (oedema) and erythema (redness) of the treated area may occur after treatment,
- Cool the skin post treatment as needed with cold gel packs, cool gel, or cool air,
- Wash the treatment area gently with soap and water,
- Do not soak the treated area,
- There may be slight darkening (bronzing) of the skin noticeable 3-10 days post treatment which resolves without intervention,
- Do not shave the treated area if crusting is evident,
- Avoid sun exposure between treatments. If sun exposure is unavoidable, apply SPF 50+ to protect exposed, treated areas,
- Apply moisturisers for sensitive skin as needed,
- For patients who are prone to breakouts or have sebaceous skin, consider waiting 24 hours before applying any topical products.